Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Then one foggy 'Xmas' Eve a particular fat guy came to say..."

Good Sunday morning to you all! I know I missed the blog for Friday, but I had a lot on my mind and couldn't think of a good blog to present to you all. But never fear, I have found the perfect topic in which to start off my series of blogs.


There is also a correction to my introduction I need to make. I no longer have an amazing girlfriend. I am single as of last night. I'm not too happy with this at the moment, but I'm not gonna wallow in it. I'm sure you didn't come here to read my personal babble, so lets get started.





Fox News reports that a woman in Wilmington, North Carolina is took legal action over the song "Ruldolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" because it apparently carried religious overtones. You read right, folks. She reportedly stated that the words "Christmas" and "Santa" are offensive because they carried these religious overtones. The woman did not want her daughter to be exposed to such things in a secular, public school.


The song was temporarily pulled from the up coming Christmas program that was optional for both the child and parent to attend and participate.


It didn't take long for administrators to bring Rudolph back. They say that it is, in fact, a secular song about a make-believe reindeer.


After reviewing the song Ed Higgins, chairman of the county Board of Education, had this to say, "They’ve determined that it (Christmas) signifies just a day in time, Dec. 25, not the promotion of a religious symbol. So Rudolph is back in."


Really? Honestly? Come on! This is rediculus! This lady is Jewish, and the only reason she did it was because she requested a Hanukka song for the program, and school officials refused to put one in. These are a bunch of kindergarteners! Half of them probably don't even know what Hanukka is. And if you were to add a Hanukka song, then wouldn't it be fair to the other religions that you add their song as well. Such as:

"Oh Kwanzaa Tree" (Kwanzaa)
"We Wish You a Merry Rohatsu" (Buddhism)
"I'm Dreaming of a White Zartusht-no-diso" (Zoroastrianism)
And my personal favorite...
"I'll Be Home for Festivus" (Festiv...isum)
Well, that's going to do it for me this time. I would write more, but it's finals week and my mind is swamped with all kinds of other things. I'll be looking forward to reading your comments, and suggestions about future blogs. Take it easy and remember to watch your step...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the ruling is on religious related events. I know that religious organizations can use school facilities before and after school. I say the school was well within their right to deny the Hanukkah song, provided they didn't sing a Christmas carol with strong religious overtones, such as Silent Night. But it seems to me the school might not have to wanted avoid opening up a can of worms by having to accomodate all other faiths. I personally don't have any problem with Christmas carols with religious overtones. As Richard Dawkins said,"Culturally, I'm Christian."
It seems a stupid thing to get bent out of shape about.